[GEM-dev] pix_movieDS and updated pix_videoDS

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:30:12 CEST 2006

On 8/22/06, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> > We could replace the VFW handling for pix_film with DS if desired.
>
> i am all for it, but are there any chances, to put the code into filmDS
> and videoDS classes instead of using [pix_movieDS]/[pix_videoDS] ?

pix_movieDS is just a place holder.  I made a new class to speed up working
with the consultant and also to try out some tricks for speeding up decode
and texturing.  The pix_film DS code would replace the filmAVI code.  Should
I just overwrite the VFW stuff or make a filmDS class? I just modified the
existing videoDS as that is what is used for pix_video on Windows.

> Right now the DS stuff works OK, but not using the 'suggested' (read
> > strongly enforced) MS path results in pretty severe performance
> > penalties.  I may try to hack in YUV handling to help that out.
>
> does the yuv-texturing work on w32?

No, and therein lies the hack.  I'm thinking about adding a method to
pix_movieDS that would unpack the Y U V into R G B for texture upload and
then have a pixel shader convert it to real RGB.  I have no idea if this
would be useful to anyone other than me because it would require a
[fragment_program] and the correct shader to work.

> > Also, I seem to have destroyed the CVS web browser for our project.
>
> luckily it seems to work for me.

Yeah, it took a while for it to come around.

cgc