[GEM-dev] pix_movieDS and updated pix_videoDS

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 17:04:06 CEST 2006

On 8/22/06, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> i think it would be best to make a filmDS class.
> just imagine somebody would want to have a recent version of Gem on
> win98...

Do we really support Win98?  I think 2k/XP is not unreasonable as basic
requirements now.

wouldn't it be better to have this in [pix_texture]?
> performing a runtime-check (on systems that have no native GL-support
> for YUV), whether the renderer supports fragment shaders, and if so,
> upload the shader and use that. if it doesn't support shaders, use the
> CPU fallback.
> this way, not only [pix_movie] would have the speedup, but also
> pix_video,...
>
> the shader could be hard-coded into the pix_texture-class, so there is
> no dependency on external files.
> (shader programs tend to be smaller than i.e. fonts)

That would be fine until someone (namely me) wants to use a more complex
shader. ;)

I haven't actually done anything beyond finding that getting a YUV buffer
from DS is faster than RGB when you don't use the DirectX hardware
overlays.  We shouldn't do any automagic until this is proven to be
worthwhile.  Also, adding code that makes pix_texutre even more complex and
unreadable should not be undertaken lightly!

cgc