[GEM-dev] autoconf os-X (working)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 03:04:03 CEST 2006

On Aug 10, 2006, at 12:52 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> There are some issues with this.
>
> - We don't use the X11 GL at all.  It should be the OpenGL and AGL
> frameworks
> - FTGL should not use the X11 GL either
> - freetype and FTGL are linked statically
>

> On 8/10/06, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> hi.
>
> i recently played a bit with a G5 and tried to compile Gem on OS-X
> (10.4.7) via the autoconf system.
>
> good news:
>
> basically changing the line dealing with "-bundle" in configure
> (.ac) did
> the trick; it is already in the CVS (plus some minor changes, which
> should the use of configure a bit simpler; like "--with-pd" not
> pointing
> to the pd-executable anymore, but to the base path where both the
> pd-executable/library (./bin) and the headers (./src) can be found)
>

> i only forgot about ftgl-support, which i did today, trying to make
> everything from the command-line (which might - or not - be important
> for the hans's autobuild system; basically i believe that freetype2
> and
> ftgl should not be included in the nightly builds, as they are
> virtually
> never-changing; so they could be built via some IDE like xcode once
> and
> then the building of Gem would run without gui)

With the auto-builds, it has to be in CVS or the OS's package system
(Fink for OSX). It has to be this way, otherwise its far too much
work to maintain.  I think FTGL and freetype2 are in Debian, but they
are not in Fink, and I don't know about Ubuntu, Fedora Core, or
PlanetCCRMA.

Anything in CVS will be built from scratch every night.  The source
is rsync'ed against a clean copy every night, so all binaries are
wiped clean.

For MinGW, they can be built from source outside of CVS since there
is no other option,  I am already maintaining a list of working
sources.  They will need to install with one or two commands, like "./
configure && make install" or just a "make install", otherwise they
need to be in CVS.

.hc