[GEM-dev] GemException changes not approved by MSVC 2003

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Sep 3 11:02:27 CEST 2006

chris clepper wrote:
> I haven't updated the Base classes in about two weeks and the change
> made to GemException has made MSVC very unhappy.  It throws a warning
> about public std::exception for each and every class compiled.  The
> warning is C4275: no dll-interface class 'exception' used as base for
> dll-interface class 'GemException'.  Webpage here:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3tdb471s.aspx
>
> I have no idea what this really means.  MS doesn't have a runtime
> exception for use with DLLs?  Should I just do the pragma to shut the
> warning off?

i think i'll revert the changes.

i introduced them in trying to solve a crash on debian systems whenever
an exception was thrown.
i tried to make GemExceptions as "standard" as possible.
it turned out to be a problem of the used stdlibc++ with the
nvidia-drivers, so my changes didn't help at all.

i thought that if they don't help, they won't hurt; obviously i was not
correct here.

mfg.adsr