[GEM-dev] noise problem with glsl

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Thu Sep 14 14:22:48 CEST 2006

hello,

i received my orange book few days ago. so i'm back with glsl.

i give up for now with multitexture. my aim was to use 1 noisy texture
to distord the other one.
i discover the noise fonction of glsl, but i've got problem, trying to
use it.

by example, a simple vertex shader like this :

void main(void)
{
	vec4 v = vec4(gl_Vertex);
	vec4 pos = gl_ModelViewMatrix * v;
	float LightIntensity = max(dot(normalize(vec3(0.,3.,3.) - pos.xyz),
gl_Normal), 0.0);
	gl_FrontColor = gl_Color * LightIntensity;

	v.x += 0.1 * noise1(v);  // commenting this line
				 // make the shader to work

	gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * v;
}

gives me error :

Vertex info
-----------
<stdlib>(3998) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"
<stdlib>(3998) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "int" to "float"

(same errore with noise1, noise2, noise3.., whatever vecter size of the
input parametter)

does anyone know where the problem came from?
what should i try? etc

should i ask this question in an other mailling list (as i don't think
it's a gem problem)?

does anyone interested in my working example: sould i upload my patch
somwhere?

thanks
Cyrille