[GEM-dev] noise problem with glsl

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Thu Sep 14 19:10:11 CEST 2006

chris clepper a écrit :

 > On 9/14/06, *cyrille henry* <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
 > <mailto:cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr>> wrote:
 >
 >     hello chris,
 >     thanks for your sugestion
 >
 >     chris clepper a écrit :
 >      > I haven't used the noise function becuase it does not run in
 >     hardware on
 >      > ATI or Nvidia (only 3DLabs).
 >     i did not know that.
 >     what did you use then? a jpg texture?
 >

 > Yes,  a texture is what is normally used.  In GEM you can use sig2pix to
 > generate random values.  The GLSL noise is not random but a Perlin noise
 > generator.
ok, so i'm back with multi texture problem.

 >      >You might have to use temporary variables
 >      > or explicitly cast like:
 >      >
 >      > vx += (float) (0.1 * noise1())
 >     i tried this, but it does not change anything.
 >     the error : "<stdlib>(3998)" does not look like the error i've
got when
 >     i do this kind of mistake.
 >

 >  The first error doesn't make sense because GLSL does not support
 > integers of any type according to the orange book.
yes. thas why i though the problem did not cam from the shader. is it
possible the problem come from my graphyc card, or my OS or graphic driver?

(nvidia Quadro FX 1400 : it's a good card, but not optimized for video game)

 > Can you post the fragment portion of the shader so I can test the whole
 > thing?

there is nothing in the frag shader.

void main()
{