[GEM-dev] noise problem with glsl

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 16:18:41 CEST 2006

On 9/14/06, cyrille henry <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr> wrote:

> hello chris,
> thanks for your sugestion
>
> chris clepper a écrit :
> > I haven't used the noise function becuase it does not run in hardware on
> > ATI or Nvidia (only 3DLabs).
> i did not know that.
> what did you use then? a jpg texture?

Yes,  a texture is what is normally used.  In GEM you can use sig2pix to
generate random values.  The GLSL noise is not random but a Perlin noise
generator.

>You might have to use temporary variables
> > or explicitly cast like:
> >
> > vx += (float) (0.1 * noise1())
> i tried this, but it does not change anything.
> the error : "<stdlib>(3998)" does not look like the error i've got when
> i do this kind of mistake.

 The first error doesn't make sense because GLSL does not support integers
of any type according to the orange book.

Can you post the fragment portion of the shader so I can test the whole
thing?