[GEM-dev] compiler error with gcc 3.4

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 15 01:51:05 CEST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, chris clepper wrote:
> On 9/14/06, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>> Or it could be disabled by default, so that its easy to build and there
>> would be much less time wasted for everyone trying to build Gem.
> I don't think it is unreasonable to have requirement for a compiler that is
> not busted in order to build GEM.

When it comes to SIMD, most GCC compilers used in the last few years have
had a bunch of problems. Pick a random Linux computer now and chances are
that the GCC installed on it is broken about SIMD. This includes some
popular 4.x releases. This makes your requirement less reasonable than if
busted compilers were rare.

That's why I instruct people to build pd devel_0_39 using the simd=0
option, else it most likely will spit out "Arithmetic Exception (core
dumped)" during compilation, on most any Linux machine I've had access to.

OTOH, some people find it very normal to build GCC themselves... I don't,
and I've had trouble with that: apart from being a big program, long to
compile, I don't know how to make several libstdc++ versions _not_
conflict with each other.