[GEM-dev] compiler error with gcc 3.4

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Sep 16 01:28:44 CEST 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:27 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> how come?

>> Your answer is in the above line.  Feel free to implement
>> something that
>> will manage building for different CPUs for the whole shebang.  That
>> would be very nice and probably not too hard.  Its mostly already
>> there
>> for the Pd-extended build stuff.  It would mostly be a matter of
>> sending
>> the write gcc options to the pd and Gem builds.
>>
>>> ./configure --disable-sse2
>

> i still don't understand, what's the problem with disabling sse2 in
> the
> autobuild-scripts for Gem alone (you call Gem's configure anyhow)
>
> (at least i don't see any answer in "[...] until there is a system-
> wide
> mehtod of specifying target CPUs. Perhaps there is another way
> around it")

It would be nice if there was just one line in packages/Makefile that
just ran:

./configure --with-pd=/path/to/pd

As it is now, there has to be a separate target for each platform
since "./configure" alone doesn't work, and the options to get it
working are different on each platform.  I.e. Apple needs --without-
ImageMagick, Debian needs --disable-sse2, etc.  Its ugly and ugliness
seems to always lead to problems down the line.  It works for now tho.

Also, having the Pd-extended build system just call "./configure"
without extra options would mean that you could change the default
build options for the auto-builders without having to touch packages/
Makefile.  You would just change the defaults in configure.ac.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams