[GEM-dev] FYI: auto-build Gem on OSX Fink libs

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Sep 29 11:52:11 CEST 2006

Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:

> FYI, the current Gem auto-build on Mac OS X is linking against these
> Fink libs:
>
>         libdv.4.dylib
>         libmpeg.1.dylib
>         libquicktime.0.dylib
>         libjpeg.62.dylib
>
> For some reason, I think this is wrong.  This is the current ./ configure:

well, it is not entirely wrong...if these libraries are installed then
configure will detect them and use them...

the problem is, that this makes Gem not very fit for distribution (the
more dynamic libraries you have to manually install, the worse) (but i
don't tell you nothing new here)

apart from that, it shouldn't change much in the behaviour of Gem, and
if it did, it should be for good.

> cd $(gem_src)/src && ./configure --without-ImageMagick --with-pd=$ (pd_src)

in order to manually disable the use of these libraries would be:
./configure --without-jpeg --without-ImageMagick --without-ieee1394
--without-mpeg --without-libquicktime --without-lqt --with-pd=$ (pd_src)

(note: i just write this line from memory, so it is not tested at all).

i am really no big fan of automatically disabling all this libraries on
osx, since it would make the configure.ac harder to maintain (it's
already BIG), and people might want to use it (for whatever reasons).

so basically i think: configure (without arguments) should create a
build that works on the machine where configure was run. it is not the
task of a plain configure to create a package that is distributable for
a lot of machines.
if you need this, you will have to provide arguments to configure
(disabling the use stuff that is installed on the machine for other
reasons, enabling stuff that is not installed on the build-machine but
on the target machines...)

at least that is the way, how debian handles it (or handled it! i
haven't looked at the way how debian packages are built since they
started the great unified build-system a few years ago)

mfg.asdr.