[GEM-dev] which gem to include in upcoming release

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Nov 5 10:43:27 CET 2006

second try, as yesterday my machine went down due to thermal issue...

cyrille henry wrote:

>> Maybe Cyrille and some of the other people using the recent code will
>> give their impressions.
> i just compile the curent cvs.
> all my patch look like working perfectly.
> jamie multitexture test patch work, i did not try yet to use it with glsl.
>
> i work very few with video, so i did not have fully tested movie ,
> webcam etc.
>
> gem is perfectly stable on my computer for what i 'm doing.
> so, curent cvs is the best GEM release ever for my use.
>
> i'll try to make more test soon.

great.

i have checked in some more code 3 days ago (1 day after jamies
multitexture stuff).
actually there are 3 different changes involved:
1. [pix_texture]: improved the texture sharing a lot; you can now
connect the 2nd outlet of on [pix_texture] (with a valid texture) with
the 2nd inlet of another [pix_texture] (without a texture) to share
textures between various gemlists. i would like to use the same
mechanism (sharing of more information than just the texture-id) in
[pix_multitexture] too
2a. video4linux: i made the v4l-1 code work with my usb cam; however i
have to check back with normal capture cards (hopefully i haven't
re-introduced the bug cyrille noticed at the end of last year)
2b. video4linux2: at least i can now grab the image from a v4l2 device
(i think that some things like changing channel won't work; and i know
that some things, like changing resolution, don't work)
3. i added post(), error() and verbose() functions to the CPPExtern
class, which automatically prepend the object's name to any posted
message (and in the case of error() also use pd_error() so that the
object is findable).
this change means that in static class functions (e.g. callbacks) we
have to either call pd's native post() with "::post()" or the object's
post with "GetMyClass(data)->post()"; i hope that i have fixed all
occurences of calls to unspecified post()s (at least it compiles on os-x
and linux, but i might have missed some on w32-only code)

mfg.ar