full test of curent cvs, was : Re: [GEM-dev] which gem to include in upcoming release

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Nov 5 19:23:46 CET 2006

cyrille henry wrote:

>> 1. [pix_texture]: improved the texture sharing a lot; you can now
>> connect the 2nd outlet of on [pix_texture] (with a valid texture) with
>> the 2nd inlet of another [pix_texture] (without a texture) to share
>> textures between various gemlists.
>
> this is great and usefull.
> the exemple work perfectly.

oh, i just noticed that i haven't updated the example-file. since my
last changes, the use of [pix_coordinate] is not necessary any more
(since this is handled by the more complex tex-id message); this also
means that you can now switch between normalized and rectangle textures
in the parent [pix_texture], and the childs will automatically adapt
themselves.

> i pluged my 2 webcam and perform some test with pix_video : it is now
> very solid.
> i can plug, unplug cam, create, destroy gemwin, change between device
> etc without problem.

wow

> so it's perfect i think.
> (i just have 1 small problem with my philips webcam that convert red to
> blue  and blue to yellow, but that's not a gem specific problem).

some drivers claim that they can do RGB while they really provide BGR only.

>> 2b. video4linux2: at least i can now grab the image from a v4l2 device
>> (i think that some things like changing channel won't work; and i know
>> that some things, like changing resolution, don't work)
> i can't test this

i guess it will be some time till v4l2 becomes standard in Gem.

> i made some test with pix_film and pix_movie.
> both crash when loading some movie, but work with other files.

do you have any small crasher examples so i could give it a try?
could you send me the printout of pd before it crashes?

> depending on the movie, right inlet does not set curent frame, but
> increase frame position.

this should only be the case when using libmpeg1 for decoding
mpeg-videos. libmpeg1 simply doesn't support seeking, so i don't know
what to do. libmpeg3 can do seeking, but you have to create a toc-file
first and load this one instead. e.g. "~> mpeg3toc alea.mpg alea.toc"
and then load "alea.toc" into [pix_film]

> pix_record works, but crash easilly. it will crash if the file can not
> be created (already exist, or if the directory does not exist etc).
> it can also crash for other (unknown) reason.

that is interesting and bad to hear.
i know that [pix_record] is rather picky about the codecs (i am only
able to use ~3 of 12 installed codecs without crashes).

> there is still some things that i did not understand with pix_record:
> 1st : does it create only 20fps file?

right, 20fps is currently hardcoded. this should be changed sometime (in
the meantime i guess that there are some tools where you can (re)set the
framerate of an existing file)

> 2nd : after recording a 1024x768 movie, quick time and vlc read it
> correctly, but ubuntu see it as a 1024x384 movie.
> (i already see this with other tools, so it can be a ubuntu specific
> problem.)

you mean vlc on ubuntu cannot display it correctly or some
ubuntu-specific player cannot do it?

> anyway, i found a better solution to record my work so i don't use
> pix_record.

please share your ideas.

mfg.adr