full test of curent cvs, was : Re: [GEM-dev] which gem to include in upcoming release

cyrille henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Sun Nov 5 21:14:30 CET 2006

IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> cyrille henry wrote:
>>> 1. [pix_texture]: improved the texture sharing a lot; you can now
>>> connect the 2nd outlet of on [pix_texture] (with a valid texture) with
>>> the 2nd inlet of another [pix_texture] (without a texture) to share
>>> textures between various gemlists.
>> this is great and usefull.
>> the exemple work perfectly.
>
> oh, i just noticed that i haven't updated the example-file. since my
> last changes, the use of [pix_coordinate] is not necessary any more
> (since this is handled by the more complex tex-id message); this also
> means that you can now switch between normalized and rectangle textures
> in the parent [pix_texture], and the childs will automatically adapt
> themselves.
ok. cool.

[...]

>> i made some test with pix_film and pix_movie.
>> both crash when loading some movie, but work with other files.
>
> do you have any small crasher examples so i could give it a try?

you can find differents movie in

http://dr.pichon.free.fr/temp/

they all crash pix_movie on my computer.

> could you send me the printout of pd before it crashes?

cyrille at nusmuk:~$ pd pd/Gem/help/pix_movie.pd
quicktime_delete_vcodec_stub called
<init> : Avifile RELEASE-0.7.44-060114-13:42-(Ubuntu
<init> : Available CPU flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic
sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe
nx est tm2
<init> : 4294.97 MHz Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.13GHz detected
<reader> : Checking: /data/video/DF13214123.MOV
GUID type 0    20000000-7466-7079-7174-202020050300
<ASF reader> : Object: error - object size: 538997849
<ASF reader> : Not ASF stream
<ASX reader> : Not a redirector!
<ASF network reader> : Not an URL
<FF reader> : Format  QuickTime/MPEG4 format   streams:2
<FF reader> : S: 0 id:11000  bitrate:0 (8000000) samprate:44100  chn:2
framerate:0/1  wxh 0x0  0/1
<FF stream> : Starttime: 0  Duration: 27027027
<FF reader> : S: 1 id:5  bitrate:0 (8000000) samprate:0  chn:0
framerate:1/2997  wxh 320x230  0/1
<FF stream> : Starttime: 0  Duration: 27027027
<reader> : Initialized video stream (chunk tblsz: 0, fmtsz: 40)
<FF reader> : readPacket()
<FF reader> : stream:1  n:1 d:2997 p:156239 d:1068  dur:0  p:4200
<codec keeper> : Found 5 plugins (/usr/lib/avifile-0.7,A:22,V:27)
<FFMPEG video decoder> : looking h263
<codec keeper> : Created video decoder: FF H263+
SEEKPOS 0
<FF reader> : readPacket()
<FF reader> : stream:0  n:1 d:44100 p:1e8f0a d:158ff  dur:0  p:88319
<FF reader> : readPacket()
<FF reader> : stream:1  n:1 d:2997 p:1666e6 d:1130  dur:0  p:4400
<ffh263> : not using DR1
[h263 @ 0xb6c85ee4]warning: first frame is no keyframe
pd_gui: pd process exited
Erreur de segmentation

>> depending on the movie, right inlet does not set curent frame, but
>> increase frame position.
>
> this should only be the case when using libmpeg1 for decoding
> mpeg-videos. libmpeg1 simply doesn't support seeking, so i don't know
> what to do. libmpeg3 can do seeking, but you have to create a toc-file
> first and load this one instead. e.g. "~> mpeg3toc alea.mpg alea.toc"
> and then load "alea.toc" into [pix_film]

ok. that would be nice to put this on the help file.

btw : the last trick you told me about selecting a specifig codec when

>> pix_record works, but crash easilly. it will crash if the file can not
>> be created (already exist, or if the directory does not exist etc).
>> it can also crash for other (unknown) reason.
>
> that is interesting and bad to hear.
> i know that [pix_record] is rather picky about the codecs (i am only
> able to use ~3 of 12 installed codecs without crashes).
ok

>> there is still some things that i did not understand with pix_record:
>> 1st : does it create only 20fps file?
>
> right, 20fps is currently hardcoded. this should be changed sometime (in
> the meantime i guess that there are some tools where you can (re)set the
> framerate of an existing file)
using an external tool to change framerate of a movie is not very user
friendy...

>> 2nd : after recording a 1024x768 movie, quick time and vlc read it
>> correctly, but ubuntu see it as a 1024x384 movie.
>> (i already see this with other tools, so it can be a ubuntu specific
>> problem.)
>
> you mean vlc on ubuntu cannot display it correctly or some
> ubuntu-specific player cannot do it?
vlc read it correctly.
but the ubuntu player does not.
right click + property on the file give a file dim of 1024x384.
could you try to download this file :

http://dr.pichon.free.fr/temp2/

and tell me if it's a 4:3 movie?

>> anyway, i found a better solution to record my work so i don't use
>> pix_record.
>
> please share your ideas.

well. a standard computer can not display a complex scenne and record it
to the HD with good quality (at least 50fps, 1024x768) in Real Time.
so the solution is not to do it in real time!

i'm made very small abstraction that replace pd time related objects. So
i replace all line, delay, pipe with _line, _delay, _pipe. this
abstractions react exactly like the originals object, exept that they
receive a time-scale-factor.
so all the patch can be slow down by a 10 factor by exemple.

i also made a rec_play abstraction that record everything it receive in
a qlist, and play everything later.
this rec_play abstraction share the same time-scale-factor as _line etc.

so, i just record data generated by a live performance. i can play
exactely the same stuff in real time to record sound. then play a second
time with a 10 time slow down to record all images in full quality.

last, a few command line gives me a very big file with sound and images.

i nead some time to clean up everything in order to share a good
example. do you think i should just send it to the list, or upload it
somewhere in the cvs?

my problem now is : how to have a 1h good quality movie to fit in a
4.7Go DVD :-)

cyrille