full test of curent cvs, was : Re: [GEM-dev] which gem to include in upcoming release

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Nov 6 09:37:36 CET 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, cyrille henry wrote:
>> IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
>>> actually you should get a number of warnings on the console (the "real"
>>> one, not pd's builtin console),
>> ok. i'm wondering how many people still use this console...
>
> It's getting problematic nowadays, because some important error messages
> appear only on stderr, which is discarded when students start the
> program from the applications menu (we're using ubuntu).

the problem is, that several libraries are writing libraries (library as
in "libavifile", not as in "Gem") to the console by themselves. there is
no way to catch these (well, except for redirecting the stderr);
furthermore i don't even want them on the pd-console (since i cannot
turn them off)

nevertheless, i strongly suggest that all pd-libs use post() instead of
printf()

> BTW, if the filename is wrong with [pix_image], where is the error
> message supposed to appear? I didn't see one.

it should definitely appear in the pd-console (with probably some
additional information from the decoding libraries at the xterm)

mf.adsr.