[GEM-dev] build errors on 10.3

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Nov 13 20:30:47 CET 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 11:11 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> The Mac OS X 10.3 build is still dying here.  There hasn't been a
>> 10.3
>> fix for many weeks.  Could this be fixed?  It could be done with an
>> #ifdef for Mac OS X 10.3 alone, at the very least.  Then we'd have
>> Pd-extended builds on 10.3 again.
>>

> so i have made the code conditional ("#ifdef __GNUC__ < 4")
>
> apart from that, wouldn't it be a good idea, to have the nightly
> builds
> be a bit more tolerant to build-failures? e.g. compile the submodules
> (libraries) with the "-k" flag;
> this would allow to have nightly builds with the libraries missing,
> that
> failed to install (but nevertheless there would be a nightly build)

Yes, it should work a lot better, but that takes more work that just
make -k unfortunately.  I don't think setting the auto-build scripts
to use make -k would be a good idea because then it would be quite
hard to find the errors.

Instead, I think we should setup BuiltBot:

http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/

That will take quite a bit of work, but I think would be very
useful.  It will try building everything on a schedule, plus it'll
build anything that was just checked into CVS, then email the person
who made that checkin if there was an error.

But that will also take a lot of work on the Pd build system to make
it work like that.

scarcity."        -John Gilmore