[GEM-dev] Re: pix_video and dv1394 capture on Edgy

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 28 18:05:57 CET 2006

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Thanks for the advice but I am hoping to avoid webcam due to inherent
> quality/fps decrease.

USB2 is 40 times faster than USB1: at 400 mbps, in 720x576, full color 24
bits per pixel, cameras could do 40 fps... but typically they don't, they
use half the data rate (decimation of chroma columns, as in most broadcast
video) and have a cap at 30 fps because anyway the motion is already
blurry enough at 30 fps.

You may also need a special program to unlock the framerate of the camera.
For Philips cameras (most of the modern Logitech/Labtec) the setpwc
program will allow you to get away from the default framerate of 10 fps.