[GEM-dev] Re: pix_video and dv1394 capture on Edgy

Studio Zodiak studiozodiak at yahoo.ca
Thu Dec 28 22:55:08 CET 2006

This is interesting.
Like I said before,
I asked this list before with the same problem.

maybe we can share info.

Are you compiling Gem?

I have used the compiling options --with-ieee1394-includes
and --with-ieee1394-libs
-I don't know where to set the libs thaugh- /usr/lib/?

Anyway, at the end of the configure, I get no for the ieee1394 option.

even disabling v4l is not doing much.

I went on the ieee1394 website and saw that the api relies on two libraries.

Just for you information,
last time I succeeded in making my dvcamera work with Gem on linux was on red hat 9.

This I have tried on breezy and dapper with no success.

I grepped for /dev/ieee1394 in the Gem's src directory and found that it is supposed to default to ieee1394 from v4l (is this correct?).

I remember having to send a driver 1 message to pix_video like on a mac.

Only on my Edgy machine the repertoire is /dev/ieee1394-0

could one do as such perhaps?

1. ln -s /dev/ieee1394 /dev/ieee1394-0

2. permissions

Anyway, just my 2 cents for now.

Sylvain

Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico.bukvic at gmail.com> wrote: > Despite those thoughts I still haven't had a look at unicap yet, still too
> many other things TODO first.

Well, I just wasted another 2 hours trying to get my 5+ (!) year old webcam
working which is still unsupported in Linux (intel pocket pc cam cs780, even
though CS630 and CS430 are supported). Ironically, in Windoze everything
"just worked."

Based on my tests I am suspecting that this is a lib/distro-independent
issue, and as such am also wondering what will happen with pd/gem on Linux
in 6 months when most of the other distros pump out their next release with
libs similar to Edgy (maybe some of them already are?) leaving gem video for
all intents and purposes broken. I also looked at the videojack project
Mathieu pointed out and it really looks, well, promising, but it is by no
means a complete and/or well supported product despite its huge potential.
Perhaps this video issue should be bumped higher on the gem TODO list given
the current situation?

Thanks for all your help!

Best wishes,

Ico