[GEM-dev] compiling GEM cvs

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jan 7 20:49:26 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> FWIW, the build doesn't work with gcc 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.3 also.

the error thoralf is experiencing is totally unrelated to the linking
problem on os-x.

>> 1.) during compiling, GEM doesn't find libmpeg3.h,
>> even after explicitly pointing it to the right
>> direction:
>>
>> ./configure --enable-Vertex --enable-mmx --enable-sse2
>> --enable-filmnew --prefix=/usr
>> --with-mpeg3-includes=/usr/include/libmpeg3
>> --without-mpeg && make

could you send the generated Make.config for a closer inspection?

>> So I disabled mpeg3 as well (hoping that libffmpeg
>> should do the job just as fine) and run into another
>> glitch in vertex_add.cpp:
>>
>> vertex_add.cpp: In static member function `static void
>> vertex_add::gem_rightMessCallback(void*, t_symbol*,
>> int, t_atom*)':
>> vertex_add.cpp:190: error: cannot call member function
>> `void CPPExtern::error(const char*, ...)' without
>> object
>> make[1]: *** [vertex_add.o] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>> vertex_combine.cpp: In static member function `static
>> void vertex_combine::gem_rightMessCallback(void*,
>> t_symbol*, int, t_atom*)':
>> vertex_combine.cpp:191: error: cannot call member
>> function `void CPPExtern::error(const char*, ...)'
>> without object
>> make[1]: *** [vertex_combine.o] Error 1
>>
>> Fixing this is beyond my grasp of C++ -
>> CPPExtern::error() gets called from a number of other
>> functions without causing gcc to bail out.

basically you have to replace "error" by "::error" whenever the error
occurs. vertex_combine::gem_rightMessCallback() is a static member of
the class, so it cannot access the normal member function "error" directly.
you can either use "GetMyClass(data)->error()" to use the
CPPExtern::error() or use "::error()" to use pd's error().

i haven't yet fixed this, since i usually do not compile the Vertex
stuff, so i haven't noticed yet....

mf.asdr