[GEM-dev] 'official' support?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 10 10:14:28 CET 2007

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> chris clepper hat gesagt: // chris clepper wrote:
>
>> Looking over the bug and error reports the past six months shows the
>> majority of them coming from hardware and software configurations I do
>> not and cannot not test (and probably would not want to run either).
>> Would it make any difference to post a list of 'official'
>> configurations which we develop and test?
>
> Being responsible for some of these reports with my Matrox and Intel
> gfx hardware, I would of course be quite sad if direct support for
> these would be officially dropped (like the Ogre-people did it).
>
> But apart from my personal view I would also like to mention that I
> encounter especially Intel hardware quite regularily in workshops I
> teach: Not everyone has a NVidia chip there, and Intel still is the
> largest gfx chip vendor by numbers. As we also teach with Linux live
> CDs: these cannot ship binary drivers so it requires an additional
> step (or many of them) to set everything up.
>
> Dropping support for any driver that is not binary in my view would
> feel wrong for a GPL project IMO, although I can fully understand that
> the time of the Gem developers is limited and support simply may not
> be possible in real life.

i think both of you are right. and that there is no real contradiction
between the both of you (even though probably both of you would disagree
here...)

i think that it is only fair for the "end-user" to have an idea on which
 platforms (hard and soft) the developers work and on which
configuration a certain release is known to work.
this has nothing to do with "dropping support" for free drivers.

however, it hasa lot to do, with drivers claiming to support special
features which in fact they don't support (most problems have been with
 rectangle-textures not working correctly).

ideally the list of "known good" hardware would hold intel hardware too.

> I'm willing to help getting Gem work properly on the chips I own by
> testing (which I already do) and also other things that are in reach
> of my abilities. Just tell me what's needed.

the simplest thing would be to give me one of your intel gfx cards ;-)

i appreciate your offer and wil eventually come back to it...

mfg.asdr
IOhannes