[GEM-dev] ... not [Was: Re: THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 11 23:39:03 CET 2007

Hallo,
B. Bogart hat gesagt: // B. Bogart wrote:

> Now I look closer this really looks like the same DRI problem I'm having
> on my ppc ubuntu machine:
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/89609
>
> So now in this case we have "supported" (powerbook5,2 1.25ghz, radeon
> 9600) hardware and the thing is still not working, so clearly it must be
> DRI. I don't even have the choice of using a binary driver because
> ppc-linux drivers for ATI do not exist. DRI is the only option.
>
> Many folks have filed against DRI but I think gem is the only app that
> still does not work:
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/61607
>
> They say gem is the problem, we're saying DRI is, so lets all get on the
> bug and try and figure out what is wrong, maybe solving my problem on
> supported HW will fix the problem for matrox/intel chips.

All these crashs happen in the same code sections:

#1 0x0f722538 in glXMakeCurrentReadSGI () from /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
#2 0x0f966874 in GemMan::destroyWindow () from ./Gem.pd_linux

for your ATI and my Intel and Matrox chips. It does not happen in
software rendering. Newest versions of Mesa not even render anything
in Gem anymore.

It's way above my head what is causing this - DRI, Gem? - but it's a
major pain and already made me explore alternatives to Gem (not to
Intel, as I still won't run Nvidia for pathetic ideological reasons),
probably I'll try something with PythonGL. But for now I just pray
that I will never accidentaly close the Gem-Window before saving or
while on stage.

Ciao