[GEM-dev] Fwd: another videoDV4L bug

Thoralf Schulze thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 21 14:07:02 CET 2007

hi ivica,

> Never mind. Figured this one as well. First I set
> out to change pix_videoNEW
> allowing it to receive msg with fps but then during
> testing realized that
> this gave me a much lower resolution than simply
> adjusting the gem object's
> frame message (DOH!).

this sounds probably really stupid - but i really
liked the way this issue is adressed by windows. the
directshow-framework allows for quality-messages to be
sent to pix_video, which actually lowered the
resolution of the captured frames (instead of just
making them more or less blocky / colorful as on
linux), resulting in corresponding drops of cpu usage.
setting the frame rate was possible, too.
i really hope that something along these lines will be
implemented into gstreamer one day, and that gem will
be able to use this interface - the state of things at
the moment really is less than satisfactory.

with kind regards,
thoralf.