[GEM-dev] webcam logitech quickcam pro 5000 w/ linux

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:31:40 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, Thoralf Schulze <thoralf_schulze at yahoo.de> wrote:
> hi chris,
>
> > Are you able to use a PCI capture card?  That is
> > ideal for desktop
> > machines, but obviously not suitable for laptops.
>
> great idea ... although the video signal will be sent
> through an unneccessary digital -> analog -> digital
> converting loop in this case.

Not if the source is a DV camera live feed.  The compression is only
applied to the tape signal.

> do you know how this
> solution fares in terms of cpu usage? and did you get
> something like this actually running with pd/gem?

This largely depends on the hardware.  The BT848 or 878 chips have
good Linux support.  The question is what colorspace they deliver and
how much the driver has to touch the pixels.  GEM uses 2vuy format
internally which is fairly standard among codecs and devices (that's
why I picked it).  I think IOhannes and others have a fair amount of
experience with these PCI capture cards.