[GEM-dev] Can't render video analog input with [pix_video] on Ubuntu

david lemarechal d_lemarechal at yahoo.fr
Fri Apr 6 09:52:20 CEST 2007

Hi,

I posted this message on the PD list, but I think I should post on the [GEM-dev] list too.
Here's my problem :
I want to use [pix_video] with a USB video capture device (Pinnacle PCTV USB2). But when I send [1( to [pix_video], pd says :

GEM: Start rendering
pix_videoNEW: starting transfer
cap: name Pinnacle PCTV USB 2 type 3 channels 3 maxw 720 maxh 576 minw 48 minh 32
picture: brightness 32896 depth 21571 palette 8
channel 0 name Television type 1 flags 1
channel 1 name Composite1 type 2 flags 0
channel 2 name S-Video type 2 flags 0
setting to channel 1
closing video
pix_texture: not using client storage

and all that I can see is a white rectangle.
XTerm is saying : VIDIOCGMBUF: Invalid argument

When I stop rendering with [0(, pd crashes.

I'm on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS with Pd 0.39-2 / GEM 0.90. The USB video capture device is a Pinnacle PCTV  Analog USB2

I had no trouble for getting the box  to work with the video4linux drivers.
It works well with TVTime, I can watch myself saying hello to my analog camera, but not with  GEM. It seems everything goes well (using pix_videoNEW, list the video channels, choose the good one), and then "closing video". Why ?

I tried on Windows XP and have no problems with [pix_video] and this video capture device.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

David