[GEM-dev] pbs with GEM on macpro quad

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:34:56 CEST 2007

On 4/18/07, cyrille henry <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr> wrote:

> > Depends on what codec you use.  All of the DV codecs use multiple
> > threads to
> > decompress and so does Apple Intermediate Codec.
>
> i made a test patch that should decompress and display about 10 DV
> quality movie.
> the activity monitor says that pd use more than 30 threads.
> BUT, pd use 25% of every core, and GEM display 3 images /s.
> there is a problem somwhere, but i can't find what.

Which version of GEM?  There is a problem with the QT DV component looping
the audio track that will do exactly what you describe.  I disabled the
first audio track in any movie file in the GEM code but your clip might have
more than one audio track.

Also at a certain point you will hit the limit of what the machine will do.
The Mac 'Pro' isn't as fast as Apple's marketing wants it to be.  The Intel
chips have serious memory bus speed problems and the OSX kernel likes to
destroy any CPU affinity.

If you do not need any pix_ objects for processing then use pix_movie.  That
will improve performance quite a bit since it uses the fastest texturing
path.