[GEM-dev] fsaa enabling?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun May 6 10:10:02 CEST 2007

rick snow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am relatively new to all this so I'm not sure this is the correct
> place to ask this question or not.
>
> essentially I would like to enable fsaa but am not sure where or how to do it.
>
> Is this done within GEM or on the graphics card?
>
> Could anyone let me know or point me toward where I might find out?

it is done within the openGL-world: Gem just tells the renderer to use
FSAA; hopefully it will be done on the gfx-card.
you will notice if it is done in software (this is: the software-side of
openGL-implementation, not Gem) if it eats all your CPU.

there are several ways to enable FSAA:
on w32 you don't (i think)
on os-x send an [FSAA $1( message to [gemwin] (where $1 is an integer
denoting the "level "of fsaa you want)
on linux you can either send the [FSAA $1( message to [gemwin] (on
nvidia cards), OR hack your xorg.conf (radeon) OR set set some other
environmental variables manually (see the documentation of your driver).

if you do not have an nvidia card BUT can use environment variables to
enable FSAA please keep us informed so "native" support can be added for
them to Gem.

mgfadr