[GEM-dev] [pix_video]: issue with swapped colors

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed May 9 20:55:46 CEST 2007

On Wed, 9 May 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> another way (less efficient, and wrong if matju is right):
> videoV4L.cpp:173: add "m_image.image.swapRedBlue();"

In my last mail, I didn't claim that the problem was surely (U,V)
swapping, I said that it was a possibility, but now I think I should have
said that it's almost certainly that.

It's because, in the encoder of the camera, U and V are necessarily
encoded as properly scaled B-Y and R-Y anyway, because else it would be a
blatant bug, and I can't imagine a camera setting that would allow for
violating the definitions of U and V to make them confuse R and B.
(although... now that I think of it, I'd really enjoy a camera that allows
me to set the contrast separately on Y, U and V.)

Therefore, U and V come as correct through the cable and the driver and/or
the GEM object confuses them.

makes sense?