[GEM-dev] gem framerate acuracy

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue May 15 19:41:05 CEST 2007

On 5/15/07, marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:

> cyrille henry wrote:
> > hello,
> > i'm using apple intermediate codec.
>
> here is my story so far:
> I have experienced that using a wrong codec or color mode can strongly
> affect the cpu. even if you are on a mac, gem does not support all the
> driver features of other mac native programs (as far as I know).

Like what features?

the
> fastest codec for me was fotojpeg.

There are many more efficient codecs but most are specific to a standard.
DVCPro-HD at 1080 or 720 is far faster than P-JPEG

uyvy would be the fastest colormode,

2vuy is just as efficient and better supported which is why GEM uses it on
OSX.

but I think that is not supported on gem too, and not at all on
> non-macs. the apple intermediate codec seems to be almost fotojpeg, but
> if not supported by gem still a codec that has to be reencoded to be
> playable within gem.
> otoh that will increase your filesize even more...

Apple Intermediate is more efficient than Photo-JPEG.  It is fully supported
by GEM.

marius.