[GEM-dev] gem framerate acuracy

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sat May 19 17:29:14 CEST 2007

On 5/19/07, cyrille henry <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr> wrote:

> if the hard drive is a limiting factor, maybe i can use someting faster to
> store the movie.
> a fast usbflash could be faster (osx monitor tells me that the i read the
> HD at maximum 4Mb/s, while fast flash usbstick can be read at 30 Mb/s).

No matter how fast you played back the movie the hard disk only moved 4 MB
per second?  What about playing multiple movies or an uncompressed one?

That could be a hard disk problem.  I have seen drives that get too hot only
move about that speed.  In my experience this was with large (100+ GB)
transfers and the drive would move 40 MB/sec for the first few GB and then
slow to 1/10 that speed.  Stopping the transfer for ten minutes and letting
the drive cool would resume the full speed transfer for a few minutes then
slow down again.