[GEM-dev] gem framerate acuracy

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat May 19 17:59:31 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 17:19 +0200, cyrille henry wrote:
> hello,
>
> chris clepper a écrit :
> > On 5/15/07, cyrille henry <cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr> wrote:
> >>

> >> i used the gemhead to trigger the counter.
> >>
> >> i just insert a delay 5 in order to to trig the counter between 2 frame.
> >> it look better.
> >> is it possible, or it's just because i'm fade up looking for the same
> >> movie everytime?
> >

> > Maybe you were seeing some differences between the metro driven counter and
> > the GEM render cycle?  Keep in mind these objects use Pd's logical time
> > which is in no way consistent with actual real world time.
>
> i think we where just tired.
>
> i'm still tring to find a solution. i don't have the computer with me anymore, so testing is not really easy.
>
> if the hard drive is a limiting factor, maybe i can use someting faster to store the movie.
> a fast usbflash could be faster (osx monitor tells me that the i read the HD at maximum 4Mb/s, while fast flash usbstick can be read at 30 Mb/s).
>

> the other solution i can imagine is to use the time object in order to get the time beween 2 frame, and compute the frame number i should get. this will not reduce the glitchs, but at last the velocity of the movy should be constant.
>

> does anyone already tried one of this "solution"?

i still believe, the best solution would be to set the framerate to the
movie's native framerate and then use a counter, that is triggered by
[gemhead], to choose the frame. if cpu and hd are fast enough, you'll
get a tight playback. if one or the other is too slow, this approach
won't help, of course, and the movie is played back too slow. the
question is, what does have more priority for you: playing every frame
or keeping the original velocity.

roman