[GEM-dev] ./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 1 17:00:39 CEST 2007

So in the auto-builds, the FTGL part of configure gives this error:

checking linux/videodev.h usability... no
checking linux/videodev.h presence... no
checking for linux/videodev.h... no
./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found
checking for PKG_FTGL_CFLAGS...
checking for PKG_FTGL_LIBS...
checking for ftgl-config... yes
checking for main in -lftgl... no

When I run the build from a login shell, it works fine:

checking linux/videodev.h usability... no
checking linux/videodev.h presence... no
checking for linux/videodev.h... no
checking whether linker accepts "-L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -L/sw/lib -
lz -lfreetype -lftgl_pic  "... no
checking for PKG_FTGL_CFLAGS... -I/sw/include -I/sw/include/FTGL -I/
sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include/freetype2
checking for PKG_FTGL_LIBS... -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -L/sw/lib -lz
-lfreetype -lftgl

I think I found the source of the problem.  My guess is that the Gem
autoconf system relies on the environment's path.  From my
experience, all of the needed environment variables should be
included in configure.ac so that the configure will.  In this case
pkg-config is in /sw/bin/pkg-config (Mac OS X does not include pkg-
config).  If a line something like this was added near the top of
configure.ac, I think it would work:

PATH="${PATH}:/sw/bin"

----

                                               http://at.or.at/hans/