[GEM-dev] ./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 1 20:40:37 CEST 2007

On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:13 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So in the auto-builds, the FTGL part of configure gives this error:
>> checking linux/videodev.h usability... no
>> checking linux/videodev.h presence... no
>> checking for linux/videodev.h... no
>> ./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found
>> checking for PKG_FTGL_CFLAGS...
>> checking for PKG_FTGL_LIBS...
>> checking for ftgl-config... yes
>> checking for main in -lftgl... no
>> When I run the build from a login shell, it works fine:
>
>> I think I found the source of the problem.  My guess is that the
>> Gem  autoconf system relies on the environment's path.  From my
>> experience, all of the needed environment variables should be
>> included in configure.ac so that the configure will.  In this
>> case  pkg-config is in /sw/bin/pkg-config (Mac OS X does not
>> include pkg- config).  If a line something like this was added
>> near the top of  configure.ac, I think it would work:
>> PATH="${PATH}:/sw/bin"
>

> i don't know;
>

> does the ftgl-package provide pkg-config files for ftgl at all?
> (don't worry if not)
>
> Gem uses pkg-config if it can find it; if it doesn't find pkg-
> config, it will try to use <package>-config (e.g. "ftgl-config");
> if this fails too  it will use defaults or at least respect the
> PKG_<package>_(CFLAG|LIB)S
>
> nevertheless, it is interesting why the configure finds "ftgl-
> config" but still fails to load ftgl. (i guess linking against
> libftgl fails because configure doesn't automatically link against
> freetype2 too if not told (e.g. by ftgl-config).

FTGL is built using xcode on Mac OS X, so there is not autoconf to
make a ftgl-config or ftgl.pc.  I hacked together a ftgl.pc in the
Fink package, so that's what it's using when it builds successfully
from a login shell.  There is no ftgl-config in the fink package.

"pkg-config --cflags ftgl" and "pkg-config --libs ftgl" both work as
long as /sw/bin is in the path, so that pkg-config can be found.

> i don't think it is a good idea to add arbitrary paths to
> configure.ac (but i will have to read the literature on how to
> handle this)

I am pretty sure that literally adding this line to somewhere near
the top of configure.ac will do it:

PATH="${PATH}:/sw/bin"

.hc

> mfg.asdr

----

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie