[GEM-dev] ./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jun 3 18:47:37 CEST 2007

On Jun 3, 2007, at 5:46 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> hi
>
> Quoting Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>

>> FTGL is built using xcode on Mac OS X, so there is not autoconf to
>> make a ftgl-config or ftgl.pc.  I hacked together a ftgl.pc in the
>> Fink package, so that's what it's using when it builds successfully
>> from a login shell.  There is no ftgl-config in the fink package.
>>
>> "pkg-config --cflags ftgl" and "pkg-config --libs ftgl" both work as
>> long as /sw/bin is in the path, so that pkg-config can be found.
>
> thanks for the clarification.
>

>>> i don't think it is a good idea to add arbitrary paths to
>>> configure.ac (but i will have to read the literature on how to
>>> handle this)
>>
>> I am pretty sure that literally adding this line to somewhere near
>> the top of configure.ac will do it:
>>
>> PATH="${PATH}:/sw/bin"
>>

> i do not doubt that this is correct.
> otoh, i could also do something like
> PATH="${PATH}:$(find / -type d -exec echo -n \{\}: \;)" will make
> it work.
>
> i am sure that the latter is a bad idea, and i do think that the your
> solution is not much better: adding arbitrary paths to a script like
> configure might be fatal.
>

> in the meantime you could set configure's path explicitely from
> outside:
>

>> PATH=${PATH}:/bin/sw  ./configure
>
> or even better: set the path for the entire make-process of pd-
> extended:
>
>> cd /bi/ba/bo/pd-extended/puredata/packages
>> PATH=${PATH}:/bin/sw  make

I did this in externals/pidip/configure.ac and it works well:

# Check for DarwinPorts and/or Fink on Mac OS X/Darwin
case "$host" in
   *-darwin* | *-macos10*)
      if test -d /sw ; then
        # Fink
        PATH="/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:$PATH"
        CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/sw/include"
        CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I/sw/include"
        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/sw/lib"
      elif test -d /opt/local ; then
        # DarwinPorts
        PATH="/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH"
        CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I/opt/local/include"
        CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -I/opt/local/include"
        LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/opt/local/lib"
      fi
   ;;
esac

I took this snippet from another project's configure.ac, I think it's
a common and sensible way of handling Fink and DarwinPorts.  As you
have said before, the Gem build system aims to build Gem using what
is installed on that machine.  This would definitely help that
process, people wouldn't have to know how to setup their environment
in order for the Gem build to use Fink and/or DarwinPorts.

.hc