[GEM-dev] can't get pix_movie working (follow-up)

Matteo.sistisette matteo.sistisette at email.it
Fri Jun 15 19:33:31 CEST 2007

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your help

> There is a DirectShow setting for DV quality and it defualts to
> quarter resolution on some systems. The code for pix_movie tries to
> force the quality to the highest and that works in my testing.

Definitely sounds like that's my problem, or somehow related.
It must be decoding at half or quarter resolution (I'd say half), so
pix_movie's attempt to
force the quality to the highest is failing in my case.

> You
> can try to alter the default using the GraphEdit tool in the
> DirectShow SDK or find the registry value for it.

I'm not sure how to do that.
I downloaded this application:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/graphedit.html
I don't know if it is the graphedit you're talking about and whether it was
already installed.
Following the direction I found in a forum
(http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-34818.html) I've been able to
"insert" a DirectShow DV Decoder filter, right-click on it / "properties".
In the abovementioned forum post, it was claimed that just by selecting
"full" as the resolution and doing apply and close, it would cause
DirectShow to use that default with any application.
I found the setting was already on "full". However, I did apply, but it had
no effect on GEM. It still renders at reduced resolution.

By the way, both Virtual Dub and Windows Media Player decode DV files at
full resolution and always did so on this machine.

I also tried to search for the key in the windows registry but had no luck.
I searched for "DV" (too many matches: aDVanced etc etc), "DirectShow",
"quality", but I didn't find it.
Any clue?

Thanks a lot
matteo

P.S. avis coded with PicVideo MJPEG with 1:1:1 subsampling are decoded fine,
but if I code them with 4:2:2 subsampling, GEM crashes (closes PD without
even opening the typical windows crash dialog) when trying to play them.

 Sponsor:
 In REGALO 'All the Good Thing' di NELLY FURTADO
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=6617&d=20070615