[GEM-dev] going subversion?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 10 09:36:59 CEST 2007

chris clepper wrote:
> What are the advantages of using SVN compared to CVS for our purposes?

well, i guess the adavantages are not _that_ huge compared to what e.g.
the pd-cvs would gain from switching to subversion.

here are a few:

- cleanup of the repository files: renaming of files like my
"pix_filmNEW" to something which like "pix_filmBETTER" (only joking), or
to something really meaningful.

- cleanup of the repository structure (remove unused directories, like
./src/yuv or ./src/Gnu without losing the history)

- keep the directory structure of branches tidy: in CVS you cannot
create a directory in one branch which does not exist in the other
branches.
for example, like the current videoIO project of thomas: in an svn
repository his commits would be totally invisible to the "trunk", he
could just work on his branch and do whatever he wanted (e.g.
create/delete directories,...)

- and finally: if pure-data's cvs is to switch to subversion one time
and it is to be hosted at puredata.info (these are all "ifs" and "whens"
to be decided not by me), then i would like to have tried this out in
real world beforehand.

mfg.adr