[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-1769298 ] texturing broken by default on some ATI machines

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 7 15:45:07 CEST 2007

Bugs item #1769298, was opened at 2007-08-07 09:45
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507079&aid=1769298&group_id=64325

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
We are here teaching a workshop with 20 Ubuntu Studio machines.  We are getting the texturing issue that is fixed by sending [mode 0( to [pix_texture] and [pix_movie].  We are using the release nightly build from Aug. 5th:

root at puesto18:~# pd -stderr -nogui
GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.91-cvs
GEM: compiled: Aug  5 2007

It is compiled like this:

./configure --without-ffmpeg --disable-NV --with-glversion=1.5

For all the machines that have an "ATI Technologies Inc RV515 [Radeon X1300]", textures show up as all one color.  For the machines with "nVidia Corporation G70 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)", it works fine.  Sending [mode 0( makes the ATI machines work, but this is not in the help files or examples.  Plus it seems to me that it should default to something that works.

We are using the "restricted" binary drivers from Ubuntu. Here's the libGL on the ATI machines:

root at puesto1:~# dlocate libGL
libgl1-mesa-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
libgl1-mesa-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
libglu1-mesa: /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.060502
libglu1-mesa: /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1
xserver-xorg-core: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
libglew1: /usr/lib/libGLEW.so.1.3.4
libglew1: /usr/lib/libGLEW.so.1.3
xorg-driver-fglrx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
xorg-driver-fglrx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

Here it is on the nVidia machines:
root at puesto18:~# dlocate libGL
libglew1: /usr/lib/libGLEW.so.1.3.4
libglew1: /usr/lib/libGLEW.so.1.3
nvidia-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.9631
nvidia-glx: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.9631
nvidia-glx: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
nvidia-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
xserver-xorg-core: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
libgl1-mesa-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
libgl1-mesa-glx: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
libglu1-mesa: /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1.3.060502
libglu1-mesa: /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1

It would be excellent to get this fixed in this release.  The Gem issues are the only outstanding ones preventing the release.