[GEM-dev] shader library

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Aug 15 01:47:51 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 14:35 -0700, Wesley Smith wrote:
> If you want a good place to look for ideas, download Jitter from
> cycling 74 and look at the shader folder.  There are a ton of shaders
> in there that can be borrowed from.  Some have copyright notices, so
> you just need to leave those in the files to distribute them.

That sounds interesting, but I can't seem to break into the installer
package on linux.

I think that in an ideal world we'd build a structured library of
shaders - potentially with standard functions for the illumination
models etc, and naming conventions to make it easier for people to play
with.

However, having a grab bag of shaders (under a free licence) with some
documentation for people to try out and experiment with, under any
platform/app, is a more realistic target at this point.

It would be nice if they came from this community too I think.

> I've been working on an audiovisual composition system using Lua

I've fought with the idea of embedding glsl in scheme, but doing this
makes it harder to share - although maybe it's not too bad if we can
extract the code easily. I quite like treating shaders like any other
assets though, and having them in search paths like textures.

cheers,

dave