[GEM-dev] shader library

Wesley Smith wesley.hoke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:06:39 CEST 2007

I'm curious why you say this.  From my point of view, wrapping the
shader in XML allows for something that reads it to easily link
together vertex, geometry, and fragment shader and set both program
parameters as well as uniform parameters with default values in
addition to autmatically defining what messages the shader can
receive.  It's very similar to the cgFX files in this sense but
without the GUI descriptions or other things you can do with those
files.  Among other things, it make multitexturing in shaders painless
because you can assign in the file what units go to what samplers.
For a usability standpoint, I see great benefits to wrapping the raw
shader code in extra information, so I'd be curious what you see as
the design flaws with such a system.

wes