[GEM-dev] shader library

Alexandre Quessy listes at sourcelibre.com
Sun Aug 19 05:47:04 CEST 2007

Hi all,
(Nice to see Wesley here ! )
In Gem, it would be nice to have a way to be able to get all the
variables that we can change from a [glsl_vertex] in a list. This
would make it easy to use dynamic patching for creating arguments
wrappers (in list of floats, with different inlets, for instance.

2007/8/17, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:

> I think that it is a good idea to keep non-Pd wrapper methods out of
> those objects.  Using the core shader objects that chris describes
> allows you to do all the wrapping that you might want, but it would
> be done with Pd rather than XML or some scripting language.
>
> I am sure it would also be possible to write some supporting Pd
> objects which could handle various XML wrappers or scripting
> languages, then dump that into the Pd GLSL objects.
>
> .hc
>
> On Aug 16, 2007, at 10:19 PM, Wesley Smith wrote:
>
> > I don't think it makes it less flexible except in that vertex and
> > fragment shaders can't be arbitrarily matched (which they can't be
> > anyway unless the varyings are the same).  What it does provide is
> > automatic default values which is really nice.  With the scheme I
> > described earlier, sampler units can also be changed on the fly.  An
> > XML format does not prohibit such things.  In addition, one can add
> > text descriptions to the shader and parameters which depending on your
> > taste may or may not be useful.
> >
> > wes
> >
> > On 8/16/07, chris clepper <cgclepper at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> We have a system that loads GLSL and ARB_fragement/vertex shaders
> >> with no
> >> need to add or alter the shader code from spec.  Why would we add
> >> code to
> >> change that?
> >>
> >> In GEM you can set the samplers' texture units on the fly in the
> >> patch which
> >> follows the design of Pd.  Your suggestion makes that less flexible.

> >> used
> >> apps

Alexandre Quessy
http://alexandre.quessy.net