[GEM-dev] automated drawing in gem?

Wesley Smith wesley.hoke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:11:40 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,
I've been following this thread with interest as I've been using Lua
and LuaGL for about a year now.  When I first started working with it,
I spend quite a bit of time hunting down the best OpenGL bindings for
Lua.  Other one's like gllua are outdated or have strange interfaces.
In the end LuaGL was the best I could find but it didn't wrap any of
the extensions and has a few problems such as excessive use of
malloc/free for dealing with float vectors and a poor conversion
scheme between strings and enums.  I recently joined the LuaGL project
as a developer to work on these problems, but things are moving slowly
and consensus is a hard to achieve right now.

As a result, the public release and SVN trunk could be improved quite
a bit with a few straightforward changes.  I have a branch of LuaGL in
the project's sourceforge SVN repository with most of my improvements
including support for extensions.  I've compiled it on OSX and Windows
but apparently there are some issues with Linux.  It's not a polished
release, but I have been using it in jit.gl.lua for quite some time so
it is stable.  Anyway, I thought I'd mention this since some people
here seem quite enthusiastic about Lua for scripting GL.

Happy patching,
wes