[GEM-dev] question about the SPC900 : WAS Re: pwc problem / help appreciated

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 19 21:06:13 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 19:48 +0200, cyrille henry wrote:

> are you still using liux?
> could you tell me if this webcam work great?
> did you have to to install a driver or is it plug and play?
> what about latency?
> is there anything i have to know befor buying one?

hi again

first, i need to declare that i am not an expert at all. though, i
think, this cam is probably the best ubs-cam i found yet. the image
quality is quite good, though when making a snapshot, you will see the
compression artefacts. what is kind of special about this model, is that
it gives you bright pictures even when it's quite dark. qualitywise it
certainly has an improved image compared to a bunch of cheaper cams i
saw. the reasons i bought this cam, is the fact, that it seems to be
widely used in amateur astronomics and that i was sure, that it will be
supported by a linux driver.

to the specs (which are completely different from the manufacturers
ones):

max. res. = 640x480
max. fps = 30 (not 90 as suggested by manufacturer)
15 @ 640x480
30 @ 320x240
30 @ 160x120
uses ubs 1.1 (fullspeed), not usb 2.0 (highspeed) as suggested by
manufacturer (though it works of course on a 2.0 plug)

issues, i have/had with this cam:

- wrong colorspace in gridflow (yuv was displayed as rgb), but solved

- swapped colors in gem (r<->b), solved

- agc cannot be set to 'manual' with other programs than setpwc, means
all other programs use 'automatic'. (please see previous mail for
details), partially known solution, but not yet implemented.

hope, that helps you out. drop a line, if you wanna see example
images/movies.

roman