[GEM-dev] question about the SPC900 : WAS Re: pwc problem / help appreciated

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 19 21:25:23 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 21:06 +0200, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 19:48 +0200, cyrille henry wrote:
>
> > are you still using liux?
> > could you tell me if this webcam work great?
> > did you have to to install a driver or is it plug and play?
> > what about latency?
> > is there anything i have to know befor buying one?
>
> hi again
>
> first, i need to declare that i am not an expert at all. though, i
> think, this cam is probably the best ubs-cam i found yet. the image
> quality is quite good, though when making a snapshot, you will see the
> compression artefacts. what is kind of special about this model, is that
> it gives you bright pictures even when it's quite dark. qualitywise it
> certainly has an improved image compared to a bunch of cheaper cams i
> saw. the reasons i bought this cam, is the fact, that it seems to be
> widely used in amateur astronomics and that i was sure, that it will be
> supported by a linux driver.
>
> to the specs (which are completely different from the manufacturers
> ones):
>
> max. res. = 640x480
> max. fps = 30 (not 90 as suggested by manufacturer)
> 15 @ 640x480
> 30 @ 320x240
> 30 @ 160x120
> uses ubs 1.1 (fullspeed), not usb 2.0 (highspeed) as suggested by
> manufacturer (though it works of course on a 2.0 plug)

i forgot to mention the latency. afaict, it depends on which program you
are using. gem seems to be much faster here than mplayer, for example.
it also depends on the framerate you are using. i hardly notice any
latency, when using gem @ 30fps. at 15 fps, latency is quite noticable
(~100ms?), which seems obvious.

roman