[GEM-dev] wolfram mathematica fonts support

Patrice Colet pat at mamalala.org
Thu Sep 20 11:00:45 CEST 2007

IOhannes m zmoelnig a écrit :
> Patrice Colet wrote:
>>   Hello,
>>   I hope I am adressing this mail to the right mailing-list.
>>
>>   I've got problems with finding FTGL compatible math fonts, could you
>> help me for adding mathematica fonts support or any other efficient
>> font for writing in gemwin the famous Maxwell equations?
>
> hmm, i don't think i can directly help you here (but read on), as Gem
> uses specialized libraries to do the font rendering (FTGL), which
> currently supports truetype fonts only.
> so if you want native support for other fonts, you should do a feature
> report at FTGL (so all programs that use this great font rendering
> library will benefit from it).
>
> however, you do not necessarily need native support, as you could simply
> convert the mathematica fonts into truetype fonts.
> afaik (doing a quick google search), mathematica uses PostScript Type1
> fonts (.pfa, .pfb).
> there are great and free tools out there that can do this, i personally
> use fontforge[1].
>
> hint: i had better success in copying the matlab glyphs into the lower
> range of an existing font, instead of directly converting the matlab pfa
> font into a ttf one (in the latter case, the glyphs will be indexed
> according to unicode, which puts them in the range of 65540+; there seem
> to be some remaining problems with full unicode support in Gem...)
>

> fmga.sdr
> IOhannes
>

> [1] http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/

Hello IOhannes,

  after reading you mail I've realized that there is also a truetype
font available from mozilla site, "TeX's Computer Modern Fonts", even if
it's not enough for rendering all equations, it gives a lot of symbols...

  Anyway, I'd like to thank you because fontforge is indeed the tool
that I need for building my own fonts, and it's available for both
platforms I use (Win32, and linux).

  From what I've understood it wouldn't be possible anyway to use ascii
codes (I didn't understand how to use functions provided by the moocow
patch that is supposed to convert ascii code for [textXd] class objects,
I remember a thread about it but I haven't been able to find it in the
archives yet...) for special characters like "²", or "½" (I hope you
don't see question marks), etc ..., but now it's possible with fontforge
to copy and paste those symbols for making them accessible with usual
keys, this certainly gonna be far easier than extracting each characters
and rendering them into a texture.

Yes I,

PatCo.