[GEM-dev] [pix_texture]: how to make 'mode 0' default?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Sep 21 09:15:58 CEST 2007

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:54 -0500, chris clepper wrote:
>> GL_EXT_texture_rectangle:    OK
>> GLEW reports that your hardware supports rectangle textures (mode 1).
>> It should work just fine and if it doesn't file a bug with whoever
>> wrote your drivers.
>
> well, i am not an expert, but when sending 'mode 1' to [pix_texture], i
> get in the pd-console:
>
> [pix_texture]: using mode 1:GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB
>
> and my glewinfo says:
>
> GL_ARB_texture_rectangle:  MISSING
>
> for me it looks like gem is trying a feature, that isn't supported by my
> hardware. though, when compiling gem, 'configure --with-glversion=1.5'
> says:
>
> using ARB-extensions : yes
>
> am i supposed to disable ARB-extensions actively?

yes you can do that.

apart from that:
chris, i noticed that you changed the code from using
GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT to GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB some weeks ago,
because of dma issues on intel.
this _might_ be romans problem. (which CVS version were you using? have
you tried to downgrade pix_texture to revision-1.41?)

if so, one solution would be: use GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB is available,
if not use GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT if available, else fall back to
GL_TEXTURE_2D

so roman: please check whether [pix_texture] works with
GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT (either check out an older version of
pix_texture.cpp or just do a search and replace:
s'|GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB|GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT|g' in pix_texture.cpp)
if it does not work, please revert to _ARB and modify GemMan.cpp:
in GemMan.cpp:1177-1180 change the occurences of
"GL_EXT_texture_rectangle" to "GL_ARB_texture_rectangle".

mfg,.asdr