[GEM-dev] [pix_texture]: how to make 'mode 0' default?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Sep 21 09:39:50 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 09:15 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:54 -0500, chris clepper wrote:
> >> GL_EXT_texture_rectangle:    OK
> >> GLEW reports that your hardware supports rectangle textures (mode 1).
> >> It should work just fine and if it doesn't file a bug with whoever
> >> wrote your drivers.
> >
> > well, i am not an expert, but when sending 'mode 1' to [pix_texture], i
> > get in the pd-console:
> >
> > [pix_texture]: using mode 1:GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB
> >
> > and my glewinfo says:
> >
> > GL_ARB_texture_rectangle:  MISSING
> >
> > for me it looks like gem is trying a feature, that isn't supported by my
> > hardware. though, when compiling gem, 'configure --with-glversion=1.5'
> > says:
> >
> > using ARB-extensions : yes
> >
> > am i supposed to disable ARB-extensions actively?
>
> yes you can do that.
>
> apart from that:
> chris, i noticed that you changed the code from using
> GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT to GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB some weeks ago,
> because of dma issues on intel.
> this _might_ be romans problem. (which CVS version were you using? have
> you tried to downgrade pix_texture to revision-1.41?)
>
> if so, one solution would be: use GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB is available,
> if not use GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT if available, else fall back to
> GL_TEXTURE_2D
>

> so roman: please check whether [pix_texture] works with
> GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT (either check out an older version of
> pix_texture.cpp or just do a search and replace:
> s'|GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB|GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT|g' in pix_texture.cpp)
> if it does not work, please revert to _ARB and modify GemMan.cpp:
> in GemMan.cpp:1177-1180 change the occurences of
> "GL_EXT_texture_rectangle" to "GL_ARB_texture_rectangle".

hi IOhannes

this might sound silly, but frankly i do not know, what the difference
is between these two modes, thus i cannot say, if rectangle texturing
works.
actually, the only problem i had, was that 'mode 1' wasn't working and i
had to put 'mode 0' everywhere in order to get an image at all.
if you can tell me, how i could check, if rectangle texturing is working
or not, i am able to say. so far, i do not notice any difference between
those modes.

when switching mode, i get these messages:

[pix_texture]: using mode 1:GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB
[pix_texture]: using mode 0:GL_TEXTURE_2D

without any error. i can't remember though, whether i had errors with
the gem version, that was older than six weeks.

roman