[GEM-dev] [pix_texture]: how to make 'mode 0' default?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Sep 21 10:07:48 CEST 2007

Roman Haefeli wrote:

> hi IOhannes
>
> this might sound silly, but frankly i do not know, what the difference
> is between these two modes, thus i cannot say, if rectangle texturing
> works.

it is not silly, but we (chris and me), assure you that the "mode"
message does nothing but enable/disable rectangle texturing (if
possible); i think it is a misnomer, as "mode" might mean anything...

> when switching mode, i get these messages:
>
> [pix_texture]: using mode 1:GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB
> [pix_texture]: using mode 0:GL_TEXTURE_2D

unfortunately this doesn't say much, as the object will always print
this when you toggle the mode.
(it is really: "if mode=1 print 'using mode 1:GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB'")

the good thing is, that when chris changed the code from _EXT to _ARB he
basically did a search'n'replace, so it now posts "ARB" which made me
have a look.

> actually, the only problem i had, was that 'mode 1' wasn't working and i
> had to put 'mode 0' everywhere in order to get an image at all.
> if you can tell me, how i could check, if rectangle texturing is working
> or not, i am able to say. so far, i do not notice any difference between
> those modes.

well, actually i am trying to involve you into solving the problem.
could you please apply to attached patch to the Gem-sources, re-compile
and tell me if the problem is still there?
please try both "mode 0" and "mode 1" messages (even if you are fine
with using only "mode 0", i would prefer if both modi worked)

fmg.asdr