[GEM-dev] [pix_texture]: how to make 'mode 0' default?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Sep 21 21:00:27 CEST 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 2:39 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>

>> How about:
>>
>> [loadbang]
>> |
>> [mode 1(
>> |
>> [pix_texture]
>>
>> Works well everyone else in Pd, I don't a reason for a new method of
>> setting such things.
>
> because in my opinion this is a tweak to fix a buggy 3rd party
> product.
> i would prefer to not expose this in the patches.
> it might break your patch once the 3rd party product is fixed.
> (even though in this special case it might as well not)
>
> apart from that, your code doesn't work with dynamic patching.
>
> finally: even if there are "other ways" to fix it, you can still use
> your method.
>
> and last: i'd rather have the rectangle mode enabled by default if the
> card/driver reports to support it; if it doesn't it is NO problem
> of Gem
> at all: file a bug report at ATI.
> (i guess it is just that from a social point of view things might be
> more likely to be "fixed" in Gem then in the driver)

I think it's a bad idea to add a new interface specific to this one
issue.  Nothing else uses environment variables to change the
behavior of objects.

There must be techniques for testing whether something actually
supports a given feature, rather than just reports it.  I haven't
heard of video games having these problems, and I imagine they do
some kind of testing.  I'm not saying it's easy, just that it should
be possible :D

.hc

> mfadr

----

The arc of history bends towards justice.     - Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr.