[GEM-dev] pwc problem / help appreciated

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 22 06:41:21 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 14:06 -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> > to the interesting point: if [pix_video] would send a 'restore' signal
> > to the pwc driver, whenever rendering is turned on (is the same as
> > 'whenever [pix_video] accesses the cam, right?). this would mean, that i
> > could set all required settings beforehand using 'setpwc' with the
> > option to save all settings into non-volatile ram.
>
> It's much easier to interactively test the camera and modify options at
> runtime than to try to use setpwc, which is why solution 1 is much better.

i totally agree with you, but you cannot expect, that every program you
will ever use with your pwc driven cam will support the pwc specific
features (i know only gridflow, that does that).
that is why i was looking for either a driver based solution or a
solution that could be implemented very easily, so that i could probably
patch programs other than gem.

> E.g. I've made a patch that gives feedback on the colour balance, which is
> better than automatic colour balance, because you can do things like
> specify a region of the image that you want to balance, ignoring the rest
> of the picture (e.g. balance colour only according to the brightest or the
> most vivid colours). I could have made that patch run fully automatically.
> That's the kind of thing that setpwc can't do for you.

oh, yes.. indeed, it's very interesting to be able to use the cam in
that way.

roman