[GEM-dev] GEM pix_movie (?) eating up all CPU only on one machine

matteo sisti sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:42:26 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have tested the attached patch on quite a few different machines,
all of them PC's with Windows XP with the very same version of GEM,
Gem_cvs_2006_4_NT.dll with quicktime support and NO directshow support
(using this one because it is the only one I could find that handles
DV-PAL videos without crashing from time to time).

It is simply a pix_movie connected to a rectangle; I use DV-PAL mov's
as video files.

Up to now, it worked perfectly on more than 5 machines, but now, on a
new laptop, I have the following problem:
It eats up 100% of one CPU (on a dual core) without being able to
render at full framerate.

It seems like it is not using the GPU for some reason, doesn't it?

Note that one of the many machines on which it does work well is
almost identical to this one on which it eats up one cpu and runs
slow.

Machine experiencing the issue (laptop):
-CPU: Intel Core Duo 2.2 GHz
-GPU: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset

A machine not experiencing the issue (laptop from the same vendor):
-CPU: Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz
-GPU: Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset

Another machine not experiencing the issue (also a laptop from the same vendor):
-CPU: Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz
-GPU: NVidia GeForce 8600M GT

All machines have the same version of QuickTime 7.0 installed, and -in
case this matters- the same version of the opengl32.dll file in the
windows/system32 directory.

Anyone has any clue?

May it be a problem with the graphics chipset itself?
Is it an incompatibility of some kind with openGL?

Thanks in advance,
m.

--
Matteo Sisti Sette