[GEM-dev] adding exemple to gem

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:37:27 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I find it quite depressing that we can't get agreement on a standard
> way to distribute and use libraries (aka externals).  This really
> cripples the Pd community. Then we have to do things like organize
> examples around why libraries might be used rather than the concepts
> involved.

hi,

there is a standard way to distribute externals: to go to the developers
web site, and get the external there, then fiddle around with its
installation.
I agree with hans that this procedure could be managed in a better way.

there once was the idea to create (additional?) standard libraries, like
string, math, time, net...  I think core pd should come with a few more
objects, but additional standard libraries should be provided from a
central repository by a oneliner on the commandline or by one click in
the pd-prefs (apt-get pd-library-install pd-math...). and then as an
additional addition the existing external libraries. iemgui, fiddle,
bonk are examples that became kind of internal externals.
otherwise you will get the known flamewars (help-files, distributions,
future maintenance of libs, patch compatibility, namespaces...).
would this make sense to rewrite a set of standard libraries (even if
based on code from existing external libraries that are around already)?

marius.