[GEM-dev] glew again

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 3 17:29:08 CET 2008

chris clepper wrote:
> GLEW is going to create a mess for a while particularly for texturing.
> The only way to proceed is to use only GLEW and get rid of all of the
> current #ifdef lines.

yes that was my concern. nevertheless i still think that on the long run
we will have to go glew (or similar) - as you might probably know as
your w32-builds use it too :-)

> If you are going to do it then go ahead knowing
> that building GEM from CVS might be broken for a bit.  I doubt many
> people are relying on the most up to date builds though.

right. otoh especially [pix_texture] already uses some runtime checks
already, so it might even work here (unlike other objects, like the
shader-stuff that might just plainly crash)

> The one bad thing about GLEW is that it requires not only a context, but
> a drawable window in place in order to work.  This means some of the
> checks currently done in GemMan or in constructors will have to be moved
> to other places.  Most likely doing a check in startRendering() and
> setting a flag would work.

the first is not a big deal, as the checks are already done right after
the window creation.
for the 2nd, i have just added a new "callback" member "isRunnable()" to
the GemBase which is called just before startRendering() and which will
disable the object's "render" calls if it returns FALSE (the default
being TRUE).

so objects can now execute a runtime check (with a valid context &
window) to determine, whether they can actually be run.

so i guess we basically all agree.

fmadsr